When it comes to ordering concrete, many people don’t know what to look for or ask their ready mix provider.
What is Ready Mixed Concrete?
In the simplest terms, concrete is a mixture of cement, water and aggregate (usually sand and gravel or crushed stone). It’s actually a common misconception that concrete and cement are the same thing. Cement is a powdered ingredient of concrete that provides the glue that binds the aggregates together.
It is considered ready mixed concrete when it is delivered to the customer in a freshly mixed and unhardened state. Because concrete hardens and dries quickly, it’s important for ready mix concrete to be delivered, and poured in place as quickly as possible.
Why Use Ready Mix Concrete?
Concrete, when it is freshly mixed, is very malleable and workable and can be cast into virtually any shape or structure. In addition to that, many different admixtures can be added to the ready mix concrete to change the chemical properties of the mixture for different conditions. These conditions may include substances to speed up or slow the setting of the concrete, to strengthen the concrete, or even to increase the flowability or durability. We also offer many color options for concrete to create beautiful interior and exterior living spaces.
How to Order Ready Mixed Concrete?
The most important thing to remember when ordering concrete is to give the ready mix supplier all the information about your project as possible. The more you know about your project, the better we can supply you with the quantity and type of admixture that you need.
Some other requirements to keep in mind when ordering ready mix concrete include:
- The dimensions of the pour (length, width, depth) to figure the cubic yards of concrete needed.
- Is the project exterior or interior?
- Access to the pour. Is there safe passage and room for the mixer truck to access to the project? Is a concrete pump truck needed, or a concrete buggy?
- The psi requirements for the concrete. (4000 psi is usually the norm)
- The schedule of your delivery. We encourage customers to place their orders with our dispatch (PH 515-986-4624) the day before the pour by 4pm. Confirm your order the next day at least 2 hours before your pour. Always keep the weather in mind when planning projects
- If you have questions or concerns about your project please ask our dispatchers. They have the knowledge to help address your questions.
Liberty Ready Mix Serves Des Moines Customers
Liberty Ready Mix has been supplying Des Moines and Central Iowa with ready mix concrete since 2004. We have two centrally located plants—one in Grimes, and another in East Des Moines. We are also on the leading edge of technology, offering the only color design system of its kind in Iowa.